Delhi University DU PhD Admission 2011 Test Date Notification Form
DEPARTMENT OF GEOGRAPHY
DEPARTMENT OF GEOGRAPHY
UNIVERSITY OF DELHI
Dated: January 12, 2011
Ph.D. Admission Notice: February Session 2011
Applications for admission to Ph.D. Programme in Geography are invited on a prescribed Admission Form so as to reach in the office of the Department of Geography, Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi, Delhi – 110007 on or before January 31, 2011 by 4.00 p.m. The Handbook of Information along with Admission form for Ph.D. Courses will be available from January 10th, 2011 to January 31st, 2011 from 10.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m. in the Office of the Chairman, Board of Research Studies (Social Sciences), Faculty of Social Science Building, University of Delhi, Delhi – 110007. The application should be completed in all respects and should be duly supported with a synopsis of 1000 words in which the scholar will carry his/her research. The Departmental Research Committee will interview the short listed candidates on February 15th, 2011 at 11 A.M. The following categories of candidates can be registered for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy by the Departmental Research Committee, provided that they fulfill the eligibility conditions:
A. Students having fellowships/scholarships instituted by the University/ national and international agencies under schemes approved/recognized by the University, through procedure laid down by the University, may be registered provisionally by the Departmental Research Committee and Board of Research Studies, and confirmed after completion of course work, by the respective Board of Research Studies.
B. Students who are otherwise eligible for admission to the Ph.D. Programme and do not have any financial assistance, will be admitted through an entrance examination to be conducted by the departments or / and through an interview by the Departmental Research Committee. Students provisionally admitted to the Ph.D. Programme through an entrance examination or interview will be awarded University Grants Commission fellowships for programmes of doctoral research or any other fellowship that is launched by the national agencies. The number of fellowships under this category will be determined annually by the Department.
C. Foreign students with their national or other fellowships recognized by the University or sponsored by their employers, may be given provisional admission, followed by confirmation through due process after a stipulated period of time.
D. The University / College teachers holding a permanent, temporary or adhoc positions and having completed two years of service as teacher in a Department / Constituent Colleges of the University of Delhi.
E. Candidates sponsored by their employers shall be considered only if they get study leave for a period of two years to fulfill residency requirements of the University of Delhi.
F. Permanent teachers / employees who are in service in any other recognized University/ College / Research Institute in India and have a minimum of three years teaching / research experience, will be considered if they get study leave for a period of two years to fulfill residency requirements of the University of Delhi.
2. To be eligible for admission to the Ph.D. Programme, a candidate must have obtained a Master’s / M.Phil. degree of the University of Delhi, or any other recognized University, or any degree recognized as equivalent in the subject in which the candidate wishes to pursue a course of research, or in an allied subject. She / he must have obtained either a minimum of 50% marks or equivalent grading in the M.Phil. degree or a minimum of 55% marks or equivalent grading in the Master’s degree.
3. Students who were initially registered for the M.Phil. programme in the Department of Geography of the University of Delhi and who obtain a score of 60% or more marks in Part I examination of the M.Phil. programme would be eligible for admission to the doctoral programme without completing their M.Phil. degree on the specific recommendation of the Departmental Research Committee. Such students shall be granted fellowships as provided in 1B.
4. The provisional registration of the students done by the Department shall require ratification by the Board of Research Studies of the Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Delhi.
Head of the Department
1. Please note that the date for interview will be announced later.
2. Please also note that T.A. and D.A. for attending the interview are not permissible.
For more details visit: http://www.du.ac.in
The University of Delhi was established in 1922 as a unitary, teaching and residential university by an Act of the Central Legislative Assembly. The first convocation of Delhi University was also held in the Assembly Hall in Old Secretariat Building which now houses the Legislative Assembly of Delhi, on 26 March 1923 with 750 invitees. Honorary Degrees were conferred on Lord Reading (Viceroy of India), Sir Md. Jahan and Sir Hari Singh Gaur, the first Vice Chancellor of the University. Only three colleges existed then in Delhi: St. Stephens College founded in 1881, Hindu College founded in 1899 and Ramjas College founded in 1917, which were affiliated to the University. The University thus had a modest beginning with just three colleges, two faculties (Arts and Science) and about 750 students. The first college to move to the campus was St Stephen's in 1942, followed by Hindu, Ramjas and Commerce (now known as Shri Ram College of Commerce). There was Zakir Husain College also, The origin of the Zakir Husain College can be traced to the closing years of the 17th Century.
Tags: DU Delhi University phd admission 2011 notification 2011 application form download forms eligibility course ph.d course du ph.d course du ph.d admission 2011 du phd admission 2011 entrance exam admission test date forms eligibility course centre center